The Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) of 1996 is one of the most far-reaching pieces of health care legislation ever passed by Congress. It articulates how payors and providers treat Protected Health Information, to ensure patient privacy. This mandate has requirements for information systems as well as for providers and billers to enforce policies and procedures for using, storing and sharing patient information. It also includes national standards for electronic transactions between payors and providers, and requires all providers and payors to comply with these standards.
By October 16, 2003, all physicians and payors were required to be compliant with HIPAA’s new national Transactions standards. Many providers are still struggling to comply with HIPAA’s standards. D’Souza & Associates is fully HIPAA compliant and is committed to meeting HIPAA requirements every step of the way. We are also fully equipped to educate your staff on achieving HIPAA compliance in your practice with seamless ease.
Where other vendors are not HIPAA compliant, D’Souza & Associates has:
• The ability to easily record and manage patient requests, restrictions, and complaints via Patient Notes
• A Disclosure Log feature that allows users to track all disclosures made with regard to a patient’s record
• A Patient Privacy summary that accompanies each patient throughout the practice workflow, alerting practices to the patient’s current privacy status (e.g., if the patient has been given the Notice of Privacy Practices)
•The ability to store and print Compliance Forms with ease
We have also taken steps to ensure that our customer service, claim submission, payment posting, claim tracking, and denial processing operations are also compliant with HIPAA Privacy regulations. Similar to what practices will need to do with their own personnel and operations, we are committed to making sure that our staff and services operate according to policies and procedures consistent with HIPAA.
D’Souza & Associates also has maintained a certain degree of security, customizable for your practice. Here are just some of our built in practices.
• A User Access Log that will allow practice managers to view all users that have logged into their practice
• User access and administration security levels
• Upgraded password and user account management standards
Auto-logoff of user accounts after a specified period of time to help prevent unauthorized access
Please contact us with your question and we will reply with an answer.